Lisbon is a city with a rich culinary tradition, and there are many delicious dishes and flavors to discover while you’re there. Here are ten suggestions for some traditional foods to try in Lisbon:
- Pastel de nata: These small, creamy egg tarts are a Portuguese pastry that originated in Lisbon. They’re made with a flaky pastry crust and a filling of egg yolks, sugar, and cream.
- Bacalhau: This is salted cod, which is a staple of Portuguese cuisine. It’s often served with potatoes and vegetables, and can be prepared in many different ways.
- Cozido à portuguesa: This is a hearty stew made with a variety of meats, vegetables, and grains. It’s a filling and flavorful dish that’s perfect for a cold day.
- Francesinha: This is a sandwich filled with various meats, cheese, and a spicy tomato and beer sauce. It’s typically served with fries and is a popular comfort food in Lisbon.
- Caldo verde: This is a traditional soup made with potatoes, collard greens, and chorizo sausage. It’s a simple but satisfying dish that’s perfect for a light meal.
- Arroz de marisco: This is a seafood rice dish that’s made with a variety of shellfish, such as clams, mussels, and shrimp. It’s a flavorful and aromatic dish that’s popular in Lisbon.
- Polvo à lagareiro: This is octopus cooked with potatoes, olive oil, and garlic. It’s a simple but delicious dish that’s often served with a side of rice.
- Carne de porco à alentejana: This is a dish made with pork and clams, and it’s flavored with garlic, white wine, and cilantro. It’s a savory and flavorful dish that’s popular in the Alentejo region of Portugal.
- Bolo de caco: This is a traditional bread made with sweet potato or yam, and it’s typically served with butter and garlic. It’s a delicious and hearty bread that’s perfect for dipping in soups or stews.
- Ginjinha: This is a sweet and sour cherry liqueur that’s popular in Lisbon. It’s often served in a small shot glass, and it’s a great way to finish off a meal.
I hope these suggestions give you a good starting point for exploring the culinary delights of Lisbon. Enjoy your trip!